Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Touring in Maine









Photos: Beth and Jim with Camilla, New Harbor, ME Sandy, Ginny, Doris & Ike on stone "sofa" Coastal Maine Botanical Garden, Boothbay, MEJuly 30 In the last post I did not mention that my friend Ginny is also part of the tour this week. She flew from Chicago to New Hampshire and drove here on Monday. Monday night we had an enjoyable evening with Ike and Doris’s neighbors and swapped travel stories. Tuesday we were off early to drive to Boothbay and tour the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Only recently opened, there is an impressive display of plantings in a very natural setting. We walked a number of the paths which since it is in Maine went up hill and down and featured rocks as well as plants. We lunched at the Tugboat Inn on Boothbay Harbor. Les and rented our mooring from the Inn in 1994. The town has grown a lot it seemed and was much more congested than previous visits in September and June of ’94 and ’95.
On the way back to Rackliff Island we stopped in Rockland. They are busy preparing for the Lobster Festival this weekend. A new lobster cooker was featured in the newspaper which is built to resemble the Rockland Light. We toured the wonderful Farnsworth Art Museum concentrating on the Andrew, N.C. and Jamie Wyeth works. Les and I had been there on our trip four years ago and it is always a treat.
Back at the house I took another bike ride this time down to the small fishing village where the Rackliff family lives. It was an easy and picturesque ride particularly over the causeway that connects the island. The tide was going out and a young girl was climbing around on the rocks checking out the tide pools. Ike and Doris went off to pick up fresh caught lobsters which made for a sumptuous if messy dinner. A very full day. Today promises the same as we take the ferry from Port clyde to Monhegan Island for the day. Schooner Oaks part-timers, Sandy and Asger are treating us to dinner at their home on the island this evening.
Tomorrow it’s back on the road. I made an appointment to have Big Mama serviced with tire rotation at the Brattleboro VT Chevy dealer where I stopped on the way north. I’ll stay at the KOA nearby as I did before. So this will begin some retracing steps as I head south.






No comments: