Photos: Monhegan Island
July 31 Brattleboro VT A beautiful evening at the KOA campground. Earlier threats of strong storms didn’t play out. I wonder how Ginny did. She is in the northern part of New Hampshire tonight. I made good time getting here and as result had to wait for my service appointment at the Chevy dealer. They said all looked well, changed the oil and rotated the tires. Efficient and economical as before.
I was sorry to leave Maine. What a beautiful state! Wednesday, we had a magnificent day on Monhegan Island. The water had barely a ripple as we rode the ferry to the Island. We found a great place to eat, Novelty. The surprise was that there is only one public toilet on the island. There was quite a line after lunch. They request a donation of .50 to be put in a piece of pvc pipe.
We began our hiking after lunch with Doris leading the way and Ginny as the map consultant. We found spectacular vistas after winding, rocky trails. Somehow we missed the trail to lighthouse but found the cemetary which wasn’t on the map and had gravestones from the 1700’s. In all we hiked for about 2 hours and all came home with a bit of sunburn. There are paths all over the island and supposedly they are marked but we had difficulty finding some of the trail numbers. Artists are all around with their easels and the flower gardens and even a clothesline provided colorful subjects, not to mention the rocky cliffs with pounding waves at the base. There are galleries and a few gift shops. Ike finally had his expresso and Ginny and I tried the Ginger Beer.
Our return on the Elizabeth Ann at 4:30 was over more ripples in the water with wind from the east, but never the less smooth. We couldn’t believe how many passengers, luggage and what might be termed freight were brought on board. Loading was on the top deck due to the tide which might have accounted for more people than places to sit. We were in a position to exit quickly and were on our way to the house shortly after 5:30. Good thing since we were due at Asger and Sandy’s for a dinner party at 6:30. She had wonderful hors d’oeuvres with Asger’s homemade liver pate and grav lox followed by grilled fresh halibut. This made 5 straight nights of incredible eating for me. I’ve tried to keep my weight down but think I’ve now blown it but worth every calorie!
We returned to Ike and Doris’s, a weary foursome. I used Ike’s computer to print my mapquest route for the next two days. This morning I loaded the bike on and stashed everything again and was on the road before 9 a.m. Doris told us we didn’t make a dent in her “to do” list so we have to try this again.
I had planned to stop in Concord at the L. L. Bean outlet but discovered my route didn’t go that way which is probably for the best. Somehow my clothes seem to be expanding in their cupboards. Tomorrow I work my way to Elizabeth and Don’s in Wrightsville PA. It will be my longest drive in quite a while and mostly on interstates.
I am having difficulty staying on the campgrounds WiFi. I’ll try again in the a.m. I was hoping to send photos too. I can’t remember if I wrote that to see photo better, just click on the picture and it will fill your screen—and then some.
I confess to some melancholy tonight as this begins my trip home. I’m enjoying visiting everyone but I’m realizing my camping out days are numbered. I certainly hope I can use the van some in September. I may have to take a couple of extra days enroute to Asheville the end of next week but I have to be home by the 14th. Sadly it is coming to an end.
August 3 Wrightsville PA My drive here was a long one, about 2 hours more than expected and I almost ended up in Philadelphia after routing myself away from major cities. Greta kept telling me there was a better way but I thought I knew better. Enough said, but I did finally arrive at Elizabeth and Don’s where we have had a great relaxing visit. Don’s long ladder allowed me to examine the top of the van. It wasn’t as bad as I feared but definitely will require cleaning and waxing on my return. Don and I researched ladders that might work for the project.
Last night we went to a beautiful country home for a corn boil. It was the best corn I’ve ever eaten. Since it was a potluck, lots of yummy salad and desserts accompanied it. Fortunately the party was early enough for it to all settle before bedtime but more important to give us a change to play Mexican train dominoes which I managed to win!
I am honing in on the next week. Today I’ll head for Jim and Jane’s in Ft. Washington right outside DC. Should take about 2 ½ hours---we’ll see. They’ve planned a bike ride for late in the afternoon and I will meet my October “barge mate” Judy who will be on the ride. Jim is involved with a very active bike club. Check it out at http://www.ohbike.org/ Wish I could find something like that in Stuart.
Tuesday I’ll visit college friend Cathy in Vienna, VA before heading to Asheville NC and then Dawsonville GA. Anticipated arrival in Stuart still Aug 13 or 14.
I was sorry to leave Maine. What a beautiful state! Wednesday, we had a magnificent day on Monhegan Island. The water had barely a ripple as we rode the ferry to the Island. We found a great place to eat, Novelty. The surprise was that there is only one public toilet on the island. There was quite a line after lunch. They request a donation of .50 to be put in a piece of pvc pipe.
We began our hiking after lunch with Doris leading the way and Ginny as the map consultant. We found spectacular vistas after winding, rocky trails. Somehow we missed the trail to lighthouse but found the cemetary which wasn’t on the map and had gravestones from the 1700’s. In all we hiked for about 2 hours and all came home with a bit of sunburn. There are paths all over the island and supposedly they are marked but we had difficulty finding some of the trail numbers. Artists are all around with their easels and the flower gardens and even a clothesline provided colorful subjects, not to mention the rocky cliffs with pounding waves at the base. There are galleries and a few gift shops. Ike finally had his expresso and Ginny and I tried the Ginger Beer.
Our return on the Elizabeth Ann at 4:30 was over more ripples in the water with wind from the east, but never the less smooth. We couldn’t believe how many passengers, luggage and what might be termed freight were brought on board. Loading was on the top deck due to the tide which might have accounted for more people than places to sit. We were in a position to exit quickly and were on our way to the house shortly after 5:30. Good thing since we were due at Asger and Sandy’s for a dinner party at 6:30. She had wonderful hors d’oeuvres with Asger’s homemade liver pate and grav lox followed by grilled fresh halibut. This made 5 straight nights of incredible eating for me. I’ve tried to keep my weight down but think I’ve now blown it but worth every calorie!
We returned to Ike and Doris’s, a weary foursome. I used Ike’s computer to print my mapquest route for the next two days. This morning I loaded the bike on and stashed everything again and was on the road before 9 a.m. Doris told us we didn’t make a dent in her “to do” list so we have to try this again.
I had planned to stop in Concord at the L. L. Bean outlet but discovered my route didn’t go that way which is probably for the best. Somehow my clothes seem to be expanding in their cupboards. Tomorrow I work my way to Elizabeth and Don’s in Wrightsville PA. It will be my longest drive in quite a while and mostly on interstates.
I am having difficulty staying on the campgrounds WiFi. I’ll try again in the a.m. I was hoping to send photos too. I can’t remember if I wrote that to see photo better, just click on the picture and it will fill your screen—and then some.
I confess to some melancholy tonight as this begins my trip home. I’m enjoying visiting everyone but I’m realizing my camping out days are numbered. I certainly hope I can use the van some in September. I may have to take a couple of extra days enroute to Asheville the end of next week but I have to be home by the 14th. Sadly it is coming to an end.
August 3 Wrightsville PA My drive here was a long one, about 2 hours more than expected and I almost ended up in Philadelphia after routing myself away from major cities. Greta kept telling me there was a better way but I thought I knew better. Enough said, but I did finally arrive at Elizabeth and Don’s where we have had a great relaxing visit. Don’s long ladder allowed me to examine the top of the van. It wasn’t as bad as I feared but definitely will require cleaning and waxing on my return. Don and I researched ladders that might work for the project.
Last night we went to a beautiful country home for a corn boil. It was the best corn I’ve ever eaten. Since it was a potluck, lots of yummy salad and desserts accompanied it. Fortunately the party was early enough for it to all settle before bedtime but more important to give us a change to play Mexican train dominoes which I managed to win!
I am honing in on the next week. Today I’ll head for Jim and Jane’s in Ft. Washington right outside DC. Should take about 2 ½ hours---we’ll see. They’ve planned a bike ride for late in the afternoon and I will meet my October “barge mate” Judy who will be on the ride. Jim is involved with a very active bike club. Check it out at http://www.ohbike.org/ Wish I could find something like that in Stuart.
Tuesday I’ll visit college friend Cathy in Vienna, VA before heading to Asheville NC and then Dawsonville GA. Anticipated arrival in Stuart still Aug 13 or 14.
No comments:
Post a Comment