Thursday, July 30, 2009

Alaska Bound Days 88,89 and 90




Note: Couple of photos from the Rock City Day parade that I was able to download from the web.
Day 88 Clarendon Hills, IL Preparing for my departure tomorrow, I updated the Garmin maps and my I Phone as well as studying road maps. Ginny and I took a long walk viewing all the new “monster size” houses in the area and admiring the gardens. I checked the oil which has slightly less that 5000 miles since the Fairbanks change. I’m hoping to make the next 1300 and do it in Stuart. I’ve been running the refrigerator on propane and that gage has lowered so I will have to keep an eye on it. At least I know I won’t need the heater from this point on.
Emily will stop by tonight to say goodbye and then it’s homeward bound in the morning.

Day 89 Miles 457 Flying J off Exit 2 I-65, Franklin, Kentucky Another first for me and Big Mama. I have friends who like to stay at Flying J’s (a truck stop facility) but I’ve never tried it before. I may have to pull out the ear plugs to drown out the diesels but I think it will fill the bill for tonight. I had selected a KOA in Franklin but it seems to have disappeared. I checked the Wal-Mart and they thought it was still there so I went back to the area a second time. Wal-Mart said I could stay there but it was pretty isolated and no other RV’s. Here there is only one other so far but lots of trucks and activity. I even treated myself to dinner in their restaurant, a good ole Southern buffet. Since my lunch had consisted of all day snacking, I thought a regular meal was a good idea. It gave me credit on my “rewards” card which I’ve been carrying for 2 years and a senior discount. Now if I can just sleep.

I left Ginny’s driveway about 8:30 and had light traffic around Chicago on I 294 to I 80 to I 65 which runs the length of Indiana. I saw very few RV’s on the road and more trucks than cars. Before and after Louisville I had some intermittent rain, some fairly heavy, but short lived. They were predicting heavy rains tomorrow night but hopefully I’ll be away from that pattern.

Day 90 Miles 407 Ozark RV Park, Ozark, Alabama (southeast corner of Alabama on route 231) I stayed in this park almost 2 years ago as I was making my way home from my first “long” Roadtrek trip to Cincinnati. It’s a nice park but hardly anyone here. My neighbors though have been here 3 weeks with a sad and scary story. They are from Ocala, FL and were on the first day of a trip to Michigan with a pickup pulling a trailer when a young man lost control of his vehicle coming out of a Wal-Mart down the road. Their truck had major damage and the trailer some damage. It was a miracle that no one was killed as other vehicles were hit as well. When the truck repair is completed they’ll return home to get the trailer repaired. It is a sobering story.

I left Flying J about 7:45 a.m. and had intermittent rain enroute to Nashville but fortunately none going through town as happened in Day 2 of this trip. However it continued off and on all day, at times quite heavy. A couple of times Big Mama caught a gust of wind and it was good I had both hands on the wheel. I debated going further but the storm clouds, fatigue and uncertainty on where to stop were enough to get me to quit while I was ahead. Tomorrow however will be a 9 hour day if I decide to get all the way home. I have mixed feelings. I’ll miss my cozy “quarters” believe it or not. I do hope to do some short Florida trips and definitely have some camping rallies in October, November and December. Lots of other plans including a late October visit by Michael and his family to celebrate granddaughter Katherine’s 2nd birthday in Florida!

No comments: