Evan, Jim and Brett perform; Katherine checks out Grandma's van; Emily leads her Swiss Canoe crew.
Day 84 Davidson’s Driveway, Rock City Illinois The day began quietly and I used my time to do some catching up with the blog though there is very limited Wifi that I can only pick up with luck and no ATT & T cell phone service! I used my sister’s phone to work on some arrangements for the coming week and reactivate my home telephone by August 1. I’m starting to feel like the horse with the barn in sight. My mail has been forwarded here until recently so I had a pile of that to sort and review.
By afternoon the family began gathering as did nature’s storm clouds which brought thunderstorms by evening requiring dinner for 35 to be inside. The food was delicious wherever and the celebration was for my nephew Luke’s 30th birthday. His sister Sarah had purchased a kayak and driven all the way from Ithaca NY with it on the top of the van. Two of the guys carried it in amidst the birthday presents much to Luke’s surprise.
Most of the crowd headed for the street dance on Main Street around 11 when the skies had cleared. I was happy to have Big Mama into which I could call it a night.
Day 85 Davidson’s Driveway, Rock City, IL I started by walking a few blocks to the Lions Club Pancake breakfast. It was a busy place shortly after 7:s0 and a delicious breakfast. As I left the house, one sleepy head appeared ready to begin work on the parade float. However when I returned everything was status quo with the flat hay rack only showing wisps of hay evident. The participants were rubbing sleepy eyes and moving uncertainly. The theme was “the world comes to Rock City”. I was to play Amelia Earhardt. Emily had found a leather jacket and purchased a cap, goggles, and scarf at a costume shop. She put together a cardboard box with wings on the side, a propeller and “nose” on the front. It was taped around me with duct tape. So remarkably by 10:30 Amelia and others including the Statue of Liberty (Emily), the Pope, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe, Hurricane Katrina, Sara Palin, Mickey Mouse, Bart Simpson on a skateboard, the new Supreme Court Justice, Queen Elizabeth, a Harlem Globetrotter, Fidel Castro, Chiquita Banana, and several others to whom I couldn’t quite identify but were amazingly costumed were lined up on a float whose cardboard banner read “Nuts about Rock City” were waiting in the parade staging area along with a contingent of motorcycles, floats from churches and various organizations, and vintage cars.
I was on foot in front of the float and flew my plane back and forth across the parade route streets in my plane sometimes asking the crowd if they could direct me to Hawaii or Guam. I have to say it was fun and I was surprised at my stamina. The disappointment is that I wanted to take photos but hopefully I’ll eventually get a copy of others’ photos.
Son Michael and his family arrived in time to see Grandma “in action” and after the parade we went together to all the activities going on in town throughout the day. It was fun to see granddaughter Katherine’s development after four months and her two brothers enjoyed the various activities for children but also a dip in the above ground Davidson pool. My sister Gayle and her family came from Madison, WI and brother Jim and wife DeAnn from Rockford. Jim played guitar along with nephew Evan and Emily’s partner Brett in a set of music performances at my sister’s gift and flower shop’s late afternoon “gazebo presentations.
The day ended there for me as I watched a great fireworks presentation from there with Margaret and some of her friends. The weather had been perfect and it was fun to be a part of an event of which I’ve known about but not witnessed before. I was probably the first to bed in my van using my ear plugs for the first time on the trip as the street dance continued at a loud volume a few blocks away.
By afternoon the family began gathering as did nature’s storm clouds which brought thunderstorms by evening requiring dinner for 35 to be inside. The food was delicious wherever and the celebration was for my nephew Luke’s 30th birthday. His sister Sarah had purchased a kayak and driven all the way from Ithaca NY with it on the top of the van. Two of the guys carried it in amidst the birthday presents much to Luke’s surprise.
Most of the crowd headed for the street dance on Main Street around 11 when the skies had cleared. I was happy to have Big Mama into which I could call it a night.
Day 85 Davidson’s Driveway, Rock City, IL I started by walking a few blocks to the Lions Club Pancake breakfast. It was a busy place shortly after 7:s0 and a delicious breakfast. As I left the house, one sleepy head appeared ready to begin work on the parade float. However when I returned everything was status quo with the flat hay rack only showing wisps of hay evident. The participants were rubbing sleepy eyes and moving uncertainly. The theme was “the world comes to Rock City”. I was to play Amelia Earhardt. Emily had found a leather jacket and purchased a cap, goggles, and scarf at a costume shop. She put together a cardboard box with wings on the side, a propeller and “nose” on the front. It was taped around me with duct tape. So remarkably by 10:30 Amelia and others including the Statue of Liberty (Emily), the Pope, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe, Hurricane Katrina, Sara Palin, Mickey Mouse, Bart Simpson on a skateboard, the new Supreme Court Justice, Queen Elizabeth, a Harlem Globetrotter, Fidel Castro, Chiquita Banana, and several others to whom I couldn’t quite identify but were amazingly costumed were lined up on a float whose cardboard banner read “Nuts about Rock City” were waiting in the parade staging area along with a contingent of motorcycles, floats from churches and various organizations, and vintage cars.
I was on foot in front of the float and flew my plane back and forth across the parade route streets in my plane sometimes asking the crowd if they could direct me to Hawaii or Guam. I have to say it was fun and I was surprised at my stamina. The disappointment is that I wanted to take photos but hopefully I’ll eventually get a copy of others’ photos.
Son Michael and his family arrived in time to see Grandma “in action” and after the parade we went together to all the activities going on in town throughout the day. It was fun to see granddaughter Katherine’s development after four months and her two brothers enjoyed the various activities for children but also a dip in the above ground Davidson pool. My sister Gayle and her family came from Madison, WI and brother Jim and wife DeAnn from Rockford. Jim played guitar along with nephew Evan and Emily’s partner Brett in a set of music performances at my sister’s gift and flower shop’s late afternoon “gazebo presentations.
The day ended there for me as I watched a great fireworks presentation from there with Margaret and some of her friends. The weather had been perfect and it was fun to be a part of an event of which I’ve known about but not witnessed before. I was probably the first to bed in my van using my ear plugs for the first time on the trip as the street dance continued at a loud volume a few blocks away.
No comments:
Post a Comment