Friday, July 24, 2009

Alaska Bound Days 80-83







L Rock City, Galena, Missippi River
Day 80 Miles 300 (exactly!) Red River State Park Campground, East Grand Forks, Minnesota This is a fairly new park along the Red River. The area had been a housing development at the time of the 1997 flood and the state agreed to take the property for a park. Streets and sidewalks still exist. Unfortunately I can’t see the river, only the bridge.

I didn’t wake up until 7:45 which resulted in a later start than planned. The campground owners had given me a computer map indicating where they thought the RV dealer in Winnipeg was located. I had found an address on the web with a postal code and decided to use that for the GPS. I followed the GPS which was a mistake and ended up in a residential neighborhood. Fortunately I found a Chevrolet dealer nearby who researched on their computer and gave me another map and talked me through the details. Even then I had to be on the alert to see the place. The “donut” was still in the box which took some searching to locate and then a while for a price -$33 with tax. I’ve become so used to going without it and knowing how difficult it is to replace, I’ll probably continue holding the waste hose down with a rock (be sure to see Judy’s blog for a photo of our pumping out).

The next challenge was to find North Dakota, but fortunately that wasn’t too difficult though I have to say not very well marked. I had a nice visit with customs/immigration though the facility was a bit confusing partly because half dozen huge trucks blocked the sign and the way. Apparently it is a crossing used more by the truckers than passenger cars but there were 3 lanes open for cars and only 1 for trucks.

Into the US I turned on my phone and managed to connect with daughter Emily. Since then I’ve been catching up a bit with family and friends. I’ll visit Stuart winter neighbors, the Schauers, tomorrow near St. Cloud MN, about another 300 miles.

The road today was again for the most part flat and straight with fields of canola (bright yellow) and flax (lavender) which really makes the ride more lively. I haven’t mentioned all the grain elevators or the shiny silver silo type structures which reflect the sun almost blinding to the viewer. I would not hesitate to recommend this route on the Transcanada Highway 1 at least as far as Manitoba. It’s four lane and though the pavement is a bit rough in places, the traffic was light and towns were few and far between.

Day 81 Miles 274 Schauer’s driveway, Clear Lake, Minnesota I took a short tour of Grand Falls before filling up the gas tank and getting back on I 19. I seem to remember working on a project for downtown revitalization for Grand Forks in the early 80’s. What I saw looked pretty healthy almost 30 years later. A nice park has been created on both sides of the river.
I 29 had construction from the border to I 94 and much of it was two way traffic. Once into Minnesota with more construction, rain was added to the equation. Fortunately when I arrived at Schauers it was dry but rained soon after. They are in a beautiful manufactured home park and they over look the Mississippi River. Bird feeders and large oak trees abound. I enjoyed seeing their “summer” digs and we caught up on each others lives. They have been Rv-ers in the past so had an appreciation of my days on the road. Barbara fixed a great dinner, my first home cooking in a long time.

Day 82 Miles 324.Govenor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville, Wisconsin I am in the rolling hill, limestone cliff area of southwest Wisconsin not far from Spring Green, site of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin. About 30 years ago I tent camped here with my kids. It’s a beautiful park but not very many campers. I meandered my way here south from I 94, enjoying the beautiful countryside. I saw horse and buggies so there must be a pocket of Omish. The weather is in the low 70’s and I did have some rain coming through the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Lots of bird calls here but tough to spot them with all the foliage. One of the campground handouts was discouraging campfires and encouraging stargazing or seeking out wildlife with a flashlight. No bear warnings were seen though.

Day 83 Miles 126 Davidson’s Driveway, Rock City, Illinois A beautiful morning with the sounds of birds started my day in Wisconsin. I had a shower at the campground facilities which had no temperature controls and seemed to shut off every time someone flushed the toilet, but nevertheless was warm enough water. Today is a difficult day, July 23. It would have been my husband Les’s birthday and so it is one of the “trigger” days when tears come easily. It also marks 2 years since I decided that the answer to dealing with my grief was to get an RV. Looking back over the last two years, I can’t imagine life without “Big Mama”, my Roadtrek, and my travels I’ve done and the friends I’ve made. It has been an enriching and affirming experience. Some might call it escapism, but I call it continuing the life adventures I had in my time with Les.

I had telephoned an old friend of Les’s and mine, Tom Sprague. He and his wife had retired to the Galena Territory Development outside Galena, Illinois once the home of Ulysses S. Grant, General and President. It’s a town full of beautifully restored buildings. The southwest Wisconsin area and Northwest corner of Illinois are beautiful hills or ridges, as they are referred to here that the glaciers “missed”. Eagle River, where the Spragues live epitomizes that terrain which results in a development where houses are tucked in among the hills and lush greenery is abundant. It was great to see them enjoying their beautiful new setting and to hear that Tom continues as a Kiwanian in the Galena group.

A little further east is the town of Rock City, population 313, or so the special postmark designed by my brother Jim (He won the contest!) states. It will be used Saturday to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the town. My sister’s house was built only 6 years after the town. Only a short distance from the Wisconsin border, there are many dairy farms in the area. Rock City Day on Saturday has a full line up of events beginning with the Lions Club breakfast and ending with the fireworks. Our family will be represented by a float and music performance as well as many of the games and contests of the day.

Tonight though was a delightful evening in the garden drinking some of brother in law Dennis’s great wine made from his own vineyard and catching up with some of the family who had arrived from New Mexico and New York. Many more will arrive tomorrow including daughter Emily. On Saturday, son Michael and his family will come for the day.

No comments: