Sunday, May 10, 2009

Alaska Bound Days 9-10
















Day 9 Miles 81 The best way to describe this day is COLD. I had difficulty convincing myself to crawl out of the sleeping bag. The reverse cycle air went on several times during the night but it’s not very effective when the temps get low. Tonight I put on the propane furnace but it blasts so I know I’ll wake up. Anyway I was actually on the road by 8 a.m. and headed for the Crazy Horse monument. You may have read about this incredible sculpture that is being blasted out of a mountain. The sculptor originally worked on Mt. Rushmore and was asked by the Lakota Indians to do one of Crazy Horse. To give you an idea of the magnitude, the Mt Rushmore 4 heads would barely cover just the head of Crazy Horse. It is far from complete with really only the face visible. Started in 1948 it seems they would be discouraged by the progress but it seems there are many supporting and believing in the project and it will be magnificent upon completion. It is a tribute to the Native Americans and a number of artifacts are in the museum complex.
There was snow on areas of the facility and as I drove out I noticed the temperature was 34! No wonder I was cold. Time to dig out my wool sweater. I bundled up good for Mt. Rushmore but somehow I couldn’t get too excited about spending time there. In addition to the cold the wind was very strong and it began to snow!
Off I went to Custer State Park which is beautiful with unbelieveable tunnels carved out of stone, but very small. Curves and switchback make for challenging driving while at the same time on the lookout for the various wildlife. Burros on the road vying for food, buffalos (bison) goats, deer, were among those animals I saw. I ate lunch at the Blue Hill Lodge and really liked the bison meatloaf.
Once back in Custer it was laundry time and then a quick grocery store visit. All day I had been trying to upload the blog but kept getting blocked in one way or another. Finally tonight I was able to at least load the verbiage. Photos will have to wait. Hopefully I will figure out how to do an album link this weekend.
I am debating my route from here. I’m back to thinking I’ll take 90 up to Montana. If it is this cold I may stay in a motel tomorrow night. I really need a hot shower and a warm bed would be nice. I prefer the camp ground life but I have to be practical. I saw in my AAA book that most of Yellowstone services begin May 30 so I want to get more information before I tackle that area. I’m sure if we are having snow here, they are also. My phone shows Stuart’s temperatures, about 40 degrees higher!
Day 10 Miles 341 I’ve reached Billings Montana. It was 39 about 8:30 when I pumped out my tanks. Br-r-r. The night was the coldest yet and I toyed with getting a motel room tonight. However as the day progressed I decided to try camping if the temperature rose above 50. Amazing how suddenly that seems warm. It was actually close to 60 and I lost no time heading for the showers after my 5 p.m. arrival at the campground. The prediction for the coming week includes hail and more low temperatures so I may yet succumb to a motel. Meantime I celebrated my stamina by having a great dinner with yesterday’s bison meatloaf, Mary Lou’s asparagus, one of the last of my homemade carrot muffins and some wine from Julien and Kate. With my clean body and hair I felt like it was an occasion.
From Custer I drove to Newcastle Wyoming and then on to Gillette where I picked up I 90. Not too far into Montana I stopped at the Big Horn National Monument. It is also a National Cemetery as well as marking the battle in 1876 where Custer was killed. There is a new monument to the fallen Native Americans and an emphasis on peace. Fortunately the intermittent rain I’d experienced held off during my visit here.
The area of Wyoming through which I passed was not scenic. Lots of oil pumps and in the distance long trains of coal cars and I saw one open pit coal mine. The only good thing was that the road had curves unlike the straight ones in South Dakota. Montana though seemed greener and more pasture. Billings however has a refinery and lots of industry along the expressway. I’m not sure if I’ll explore any before leaving tomorrow.
I’ve spent some time tonight researching alternatives for the coming week. From all I’ve been able to learn I could get into Yellowstone through the North entrance at Gardiner as originally planned but heavy snow is still being removed and the low temperatures for the week are predicted at 15. Since I’m not winterized, I’ve decided I’ll have to forgo the park on this trip. Hopefully a future one to Colorado will give me another alternative. As I suspected, I’m at least 2 weeks early for most activities particularly with the cold spring. There has been almost no traffic on the roads.
Emily contributed offsets to the carbon footprint I’m leaving with the trip as a mother’s day gift. She also gave me a gift for an Itunes credit. I’ll have fun deciding how to use that…Iphone apps? Songs? Albums?
I’m having difficulty downloading my email on the computer but fortunately it’s coming through on the Iphone. Happy Mother’s Day everyone.

3 comments:

Julien said...

Hi, Sandy -- Thanks for the blog and Happy Mother's Day to you. Appreciated the photo of Crazy Horse. We saw it in about 1992, and it looks like there's been great progress on defining his strong profile.
Julien and Kate

Dwain said...

Sandy
Happy Mothers Day and Happy travels. You are too far from sea level and no wonder it is so cold. PS Din't you say you were headed for Alaska.

Keep up the great work on the blog - we are enjoying your travels
Dwain

Brad and Karen said...

Just wondering what you meant by "Emily contributed offsets to the carbon footprint I’m leaving with the trip as a mother’s day gift." ????
Karen
PS -- Try to stay warm?