Thursday, May 21, 2009

Alaska Bound Days 20 & 21



Inside the ferry and Horseshoe Bay harbor
Day 20 Miles 59 plus by ferry from Horseshoe Bay, BC to Departure Bay,BC Rain had ended by morning but still threatening. I pumped out again and added water to the rear tank. I also tried to remove the bugs from the hood and clean other parts. I’ve decided to wait to do the complete job. It was just too cold. I left the campground around 10 a.m. and followed directions to a gas station to fill the tank. I also tried to stop by a bank but parking was impossible and I can find one on the island. Fortunately I was able to figure out my way the Highway #1 west which takes you to the ferry terminal. Ian and I had discussed the route yesterday and he also provided me with instructions to get to his Dad’s house from the Nanaimo ferry terminal. I was early and the ferry was late but that’s better than the opposite. I get to park with the trucks, buses, and other RV’s on the lower deck. It really is easier to load than with a car. I bought a cup of tea to have with my energy bar and apple, did some crosswords, read a magazine and looked out the window and the time passed quickly. I had observed our departure on the top deck but it was cold and windy. Unloading was easy but a bit of a shock to drive off into heavy rain. That continued off and on as I headed north. With Ian’s directions, I didn’t even put the address into Greta and the trip went smoothly arriving at Judy and Wilfrid’s at 3:30 p.m. Here the sun was shining and we soaked it up outside until the evening chill set in. They prepared a wonderful dinner and again rhubarb pie! I am really doing well traveling at rhubarb time! Activities are planned for the next couple of days plus hopefully a little maintenance work.
Day 21 After breakfast Wilfrid assisted me with a clean up of the house battery and a check of the water level which was fine. He removed the battery for this and use some sandpaper to clean the connections. He also cut down the size of one of the rods that holds down the battery which made it easier to secure. We sprayed the connections and then used white grease on the battery tray slides. I had some problems with the propane valve at Vancouver, and Wilfrid was able to loosen it. I tried the stove and refrigerator and both worked with the propane. Yeah! It’s so cold though that I’m not worrying about running the refrig. I have very little in it. This probably sounds pretty mundane but it is important to my travels. The tires also were checked and are holding the pressure just fine. Several have responded to my “shimmy” problem and I really appreciate the suggestions. I think the down shifting and watching my “coasting” speed are the solutions.
Afterwards we had a good walk but short of their “geo cash” site which is up a logging road off Chatsworth, their street (for all you geo cashers I’ll try to get more info.) Toby, short for Toberlone, their dog, was unwilling to go the whole distance and kept having sitdown strikes.
After lunch we headed into Qualicum Beach, a nifty town. There’s a wonderful garden, Milner, where Wilfrid volunteers his architectural skills. The garden was full of spring blossoms in addition to wonderful tall trees. After a driving tour of some of the waterfront houses, we went to the wonderful grocery store and then home to work on various projects. I thought I had somehow deleted my family history files. I won’t bore you with the details but what was lost, not seems to be found.
Tonight I introduced them to dominoes. After a slow start Wilfrid emerged the winner. We also contacted my Alaska “mate” Judy who is still working her way to the ferry in Anacortes and invited her to make her destination, Wilfrid and Judy’s house for tomorrow night. So tomorrow will be the big “get acquainted” day and then we’ll head north together on Friday.

No comments: