Day 25 Miles 8 I had a good night sleep except for around midnight when the ferry was docking in Bella Bella. I had left the curtain for the porthole drawn and looked out to see the spotlight searching the shoreline for a mark. I guess the engine slowdown caused me to wake. Shortly after, a loudspeaker announced our arrival. I was asleep before departure. Next thing it was shortly before 6 a.m. and bright daylight. We were in the area that was said to be the most scenic so I decided to get dressed and go out and see the full view. The passage is narrow but deep and the land is steep on both sides with snow capped peaks. Many waterfalls were cascading down. It was really a nice brisk morning. The cafeteria opened and I was hungry so ordered the Northern Exposure named for the ferry. It was waffle, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage! Since few were about, I set the chair at the table to get the best view.
While later having a cup of seafood chowder, the captain announced we would arrive Prince Rupert an hour early at 1:15 p.m, I was the first vehicle off the boat and headed for the visitor center. I walked the area looking for the many totem poles. The sunken garden was on my list but it was in need of some tending. Some ladies arrived who appeared to be ready to correct that. I really enjoyed the Museum of North British Columbia. It’s a great timber building which may be built with the design of the native “long house.” This area has had inhabitants for over 5000 years and has a strong native history and present day influence. It is also one of Canada’s major seaports and several freighters were waiting in the harbor.
I considered going out to the Lester Center for the Performing Arts, tonight’s venue for a concert by the local hosts of the music contest. The persistent rain discouraged me. I drove back to the ferry terminal but enroute spoiled what had been a pretty good day. I went in for gas to avoid having to find it soon after arrival in Juneau Tuesday. It was a smaller station than I like to use. Unfortunately I turned too tight and a curb around the pumps caught my right side compartment in front of the rear wheel. The compartment popped open but the worst of the damage is along the bottom where it was scrapped. I was able to secure the compartment and I think the fix can wait but I’ve been beating myself up ever since.
Judy and I planned to rendezvous at the Alaska Ferry terminal when her ferry arrives later this evening. However there were no parking signs so I ended up proceeding to a nearby campground. We had been told we could camp over night at the terminal, but the signs say no. I tried to text her but it wouldn’t go through so left a telephone message. When I checked in here, the campground owner told me the next Alaska ferry was Thursday! My reservation says Monday. Apparently there are others in the campground who plan to take it as well. We have to be at the terminal at 4:15 a.m. which was part of the reason not to go to a campground. The neighbor’s dog keeps barking and my mood is getting darker so I think I’ll stop.
While later having a cup of seafood chowder, the captain announced we would arrive Prince Rupert an hour early at 1:15 p.m, I was the first vehicle off the boat and headed for the visitor center. I walked the area looking for the many totem poles. The sunken garden was on my list but it was in need of some tending. Some ladies arrived who appeared to be ready to correct that. I really enjoyed the Museum of North British Columbia. It’s a great timber building which may be built with the design of the native “long house.” This area has had inhabitants for over 5000 years and has a strong native history and present day influence. It is also one of Canada’s major seaports and several freighters were waiting in the harbor.
I considered going out to the Lester Center for the Performing Arts, tonight’s venue for a concert by the local hosts of the music contest. The persistent rain discouraged me. I drove back to the ferry terminal but enroute spoiled what had been a pretty good day. I went in for gas to avoid having to find it soon after arrival in Juneau Tuesday. It was a smaller station than I like to use. Unfortunately I turned too tight and a curb around the pumps caught my right side compartment in front of the rear wheel. The compartment popped open but the worst of the damage is along the bottom where it was scrapped. I was able to secure the compartment and I think the fix can wait but I’ve been beating myself up ever since.
Judy and I planned to rendezvous at the Alaska Ferry terminal when her ferry arrives later this evening. However there were no parking signs so I ended up proceeding to a nearby campground. We had been told we could camp over night at the terminal, but the signs say no. I tried to text her but it wouldn’t go through so left a telephone message. When I checked in here, the campground owner told me the next Alaska ferry was Thursday! My reservation says Monday. Apparently there are others in the campground who plan to take it as well. We have to be at the terminal at 4:15 a.m. which was part of the reason not to go to a campground. The neighbor’s dog keeps barking and my mood is getting darker so I think I’ll stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment