Friday, May 8, 2009

Alaska Bound Days 6-8




Day 6 Miles 190 I left the Nauvoo campground around 8:30 a.m. Stopping at the toilet facilities, I met the park ranger who asked for the camping fee of $20. I had seen him driving around earlier. I’m happy to support the park system. The GPS and I agreed on the initial route though when I saw the ancient, seemingly decrepit bridge over the Mississippi River at Ft. Madison Iowa, I wondered if it was a good idea. There was a weight and size limit but I was ok with that. Lots of work going on but it looked pretty tired to me. I found Rte 218 which would take me north most of the way through the state. There was little other traffic except for between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. The rolling farm country with substantial looking farm operations was very pleasant. I couldn’t believe the growth around Iowa City where I spent four years in the 60’s. I didn’t go into town which is struggling to get back to normal after a massive flooding last spring. There was evidence of flooding around Cedar Rapids as well and many fields had standing water.
I found the home of Mary Lou and Janice after circling the block once. They toured “Big Mama” and I toured their wonderful garden. Later I enjoyed some of the early harvest of asparagus and rhubarb. At my suggestion, Mary Lou made the rhubarb a la Les Larsen: Cut in pieces and place in bowl. Microwave 5-10 minutes and then immediately stir in a container of frozen strawberries. We had it over ice cream and even Janice, who is not crazy for rhubarb, liked it.
I had decided I would try to get the oil changed here and discovered that the Chevrolet dealer in nearby Waterloo was also a Roadtrek dealer. They have a pit for changing oil and the whole thing didn’t take 10 minutes. I was able to see a bit more of the area without taking much time out of our visit.
Mary Lou and I reminisced about our Iowa days and caught up on family news. I also benefited from the fact that she and Janice had made the South Dakota and Yellowstone Park Circuits just a year ago. Janice had produced a great DVD with their photos using Microsoft Movie Maker, something I want to try. We went over maps and brochures and debated their route into Yellowstone through Wyoming and my plan to come down from Montana.

Day 7 Miles 378 After a wonderful breakfast of homemade waffles eaten with the rhubarb/strawberry sauce, we had a picture taking time with all three cameras inside and outside. Janice transferred some to my floppy so I could load them on my computer. I sent a couple off to our friend from freshman year, Cathy. Soon I was loading everything into the van and on the road. It wasn’t long until intermittent rain became the theme of the day until I reached southwest Minnesota. The roads were good and traffic light. I took 218 to 18 to I-35 to I-90 which will be my principle route until I get to Missoula, MT.
The South Dakota welcome center was not open but I was able to find the Corn Palace in Mitchell. It wasn’t difficult as there were constant signs for it all along the way. It is an interesting structure and used by the community as a venue for both sports and culture. Every summer they start taking the coverings of grass and various grains off and then attach “about 3000 bushels of milo, rye, oat heads, and sour dock tied in bundles” to the building. When the corn is available they render a local artist drawing using “over ½ million ears of corn.” It is quite something.
I found the Lake Mitchell campground recommended in my Fodor’s RV Book, and was able to secure a spot right on the lake. Though there are traffic noises, it is a delightful park and maybe the birds will muffle the trucks. So ends my first week. It has really gone quickly.

Day 8 Awoke to rain but fortunately before I reached the Badlands National Park the sky was almost cloudless. The drive there seemed particularly long. I had given Greta Garmin the day off and I misjudged the distance. The good news is that I gained an hour of time and now I am on Mountain Daylight Time. The Badlands rock formations really are a spectacular and more colorful than I would have imagined. Of course I wanted to pull off at every viewing site and walked a few of the short trails. The rattlesnake warning signs deterred much wandering. Discussions of the fossils found in the area very much tie into the book I’m reading. I took lots of photos and will have to do some culling.
The next stop was Wall Drug. Signs for it began miles before. I confess by the time I arrived I was so tired I didn’t even look around. I bought a couple of post cards and treated myself to a root beer float and passed on the nickel coffee and famous donuts. Others in the soda fountain were exchanging travel plans but I kept quiet until it was just me and another man who of course wanted to know where I was from (“you from around here?”) I don’t know why I was hesitant as he appeared very harmless but I gave some sketchy info. I then telephoned the campground I’d chosen, Big Pine in Custer close to Mt. Rushmore and just west of Custer St. Park. It’s the oldest town in the Black Hills. They’d just opened but don’t have water yet. I decided to go for it anyway and there was a discounted price ($18 a night). What I really was hoping for was their laundry facility but there is one in town.
Today I’ve felt more ahead of the “season”. Maybe it was the snow I saw along I-90. I guess they had some last Friday in addition to the 12 inches a couple of weeks ago. Now I hear that snow showers are predicted with 30 degree temps on Saturday. At Wall Drug I learned parts of Yellowstone are supposed to open tomorrow. I was planning to be there by Sunday. I’m looking at some alternatives and will try to get some weather info when I can get online. So far the temperatures haven’t been too bad for this thin blooded woman but that may be changing.

No comments: