Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Florida Arrival


August 13 Wednesday Stuart Florida I arrived back at home around 9 p.m. last night after an 11 hour drive from the Atlanta area fueled by Pam’s chocolate chip cookies. My original plan was to stop at Paine’s Prairie near Gainesville. However the intermittant rain, the forcast for the next day, light traffic and the urge to complete the trip all ruled in favor of the push. I have never seen so few trucks on I 75. I came straight through Atlanta around 11 a.m. and never even slowed. Most of the trip I went 65mph.
Before heading to Pam’s in Dawsonville, Frank and I picked blueberries and vegetables. Tonight I cooked some of the vegetables. What a treat. It seems I haven’t forgotten how to cook, I’m relieved to say.
Pam and I had a great catching up visit in her beautiful home on Lake Lanier. Unfortunately the Lake is still alarmingly low. She keeps extending her dock and may some day get quite chummy wich the folks on the other shore.
As I was departing she urged me to get my tires checked at a nearby tire place she uses. I too had noted the back drivers side tire looked low. It was a real blow to my confidence in the Chevy dealer in Brattleboro when it was discovered that in rotating the tires, they never changed the air pressure. The front tires are supposed to be 50 lb psi and the back 80 psi. Instead it was the reverse so I had been riding with a lower rear carriage as well. Fortunately most of my previous days were short and lower speeds as well as pretty smooth roads. Not sure if that tire pressure could have resulted in more difficulty handling the mountain curves or in my gas mileage. What really upsets me is that I made a point about confirming that the tires were correctly inflated and the service manager went back and checked with the repair person. I plan to telephone or write them.
Anyway the good news is that I am home safe and sound and very grateful. In my next blog entry I’ll go into some of the statistics of the trip. I drove almost 8 thousand miles. Tonight it’s catching up with me.

No comments: