This began as a log of travels as I explored with small motorhome, as well as traveled to Europe. Now using Chicago as a base, I continue to travel both in the US and Europe via automobile (now a Subaru Outback) as well as flying to destinations.
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
PLAYING TOUR GUIDE
Last week I welcomed bicycle friend Judy to Chicago. It was the first time she saw more than OHare airport! I picked her up there which was a first for me in a long time. We sampled dinner at my future home, The Admiral, and then took the bus to join Emily, Brett and Penelope at the Wednesday Grant Park concert at the spectacular Pritzker Pavillion. It was amazing that we were able to meet up in the very crowded lawn audience. A beautiful night with a bright full moon, we toured the highlights of Millennium Park before catching the El train back to my temporary digs. Thursday we used the buses for a trip to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Judy has served as a “small mammal interpreter” at the National Zoo in Washington and I practically had to restrain her as she was ready to interpret the Zoo’s collection to the many day campers and stop them from banging on the glass enclosures. We had a delightful lunch at the historic Brauer cafĂ© overlooking the south pond which has been added to the zoo property with a boardwalk along side. It is a wonderful skyline view frequently featured in photos.
Our evening took place in Lincoln Square with a wonderful dinner at Bistro Campange followed by my dulcimer class which we exited early to attend a great performance by the Pine Leaf Boys, a Grammy winning group from LaFayette, LA. To our delight the floor was filled with dancers doing the Cajun two step. Watching them was such fun, but I knew from my visit to Cajun country with Roadtrek friend Judy (April 2011), that dance was not for my two left feet. A delicious gelato toped a fun day.
Friday we had tickets for the Chicago Architectural Foundation Chicago River Boat Trip at 11 a.m. The El train delivered us in plenty of time. It was a beautiful day but would be hot on the top desk. Surprisingly the breeze and shade from bridges and towering buildings, made it quite tolerable. The Docent interpreter was wonderful. I’ve taken the ride 4 or 5 times over the years but each trip is different and I always learn new information about the city.
One of the “first and probably only time” events was the photo Emily took of the boat from the 42nd floor apartment they are temporarily occupying at Marina City. After the ride Emily suggested we bring our lunch up to the apartment. The view was phenomenal.
From there I led a walk to visit the public sculpture around the Loop sticking our noses into some of the historic office buildings and Chicago Public Library as well. We were programmed to reach the Harris Theatre at Millennium Park by 5:30 to queue up for entrance to a free concert by the Grant Park Symphony at 6:30. They moved the event inside as Lollapalooza was happening in the park with many music venues ( and many thousands of people). Sitting in the air conditioned theatre with great acoustics we thought we had the best venue and the performance was excellent.
Last stop was Giordano’s for Chicago Style Pizza accompanied by a Chicago beer, Goose Island 312. Then it was back to the El and the apartment. I was amazed I could still climb to the 3rd floor when we arrived.
Saturday morning we sampled nearby Andersonville, visiting a Mediterranean grocer and the Swedish Museum and partaking in the Scandinavian cooking at Ann Sathers. By 2:30 Judy was in her wedding finery joining her friends at a church not far from my apartment for the wedding of their son. She then went onto the reception and accommodations at a hotel near O’Hare. I went home and took a nap! (Photos by Judy)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wish it was this Judy, too!!
Post a Comment