Monday, August 20, 2012

Change

Change is in the air. Chicago nights are cool enough to add a blanket. A glance at the calendar shows fall will be here very soon. My time in my temporary 3rd floor apartment will end in a few days and a new chapter in my life will begin. I will be moving into a brand new one bedroom apartment about 2 miles away in a Senior residence, The Admiral at the Lake. Some construction is still taking place and about 35 units of the 200 are occupied. I’ll be considered a “pioneer”. Saturday a social was held on the 6th floor rooftop garden. I was so busy meeting people that I forgot to take photos. However I’ll be sure to include some views in my next post. Chicago’s annual Air and Water Show was part of the reason for the party though most people were enjoying the camaraderie of the beautiful location and day. I was able to see part of a stunning performance by the Navy’s Blue Angel team who at time looked as though they might fly right into the adjacent building. The neighborhood has been abuzz with their practice runs this week bringing memories of Stuart’s annual November airshow. The building upper floors have wonderful views of Lake Michigan. There are many activities that I had hoped to do during my time in this neighborhood. Fortunately I will be close by and still very convenient to public transportation. Even better I think some of my new neighbors are interested in joining me for those activities. I’m amazed at the wonderful choice of restaurants and shops in all the different surrounding areas. There’s little need to go out of the area. My dulcimer class finished with a performance by all the classes on stage at the school where I had heard a wonderful concert by The Henry Girls, an Irish group I saw last year at Milwaukee’s Irish Fest. They have wonderful harmonies and now are joined for part of the show by The Fox Hunt, a bluegrass band from West Virginia. It was a very entertaining evening. My own performance the following night was less than satisfying though my other 5 classmates and instructor hopefully covered my wrong notes. I really enjoyed the group and hopefully will be able to take another class in the future. I’m including a couple of photos of my empty apartment. It seems spacious for a one bedroom. The test will be if the furniture fits! Stay tuned! (Also the pool which will be used for water aerobics!)

No comments: