This began as a log of travels as I explored with small motorhome, as well as traveled to Europe. Now using Chicago as a base, I continue to travel both in the US and Europe via automobile (now a Subaru Outback) as well as flying to destinations.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Family Gatherings
In July 2 weekends have involved family activities, one of the benefits of being back in the Midwest. July 14, granddaughter Katherine and I drove to Madison Wisconsin to celebrate nephew Meko’s fifth birthday. Meko was born in Ethiopia and came to the USA only 2 years ago but is fully into Spiderman and other super heroes which was the theme chosen for his party. A pontoon boat served as our transportation through a canal separating the lakes, followed by a speedy ride across Lake Monona to a park where the party activities lead by 2 energetic park district employees gaving the 8 boys and girls craft activities and games. It was a hot day but no one complained and the creativity of the group was wonderful.
The following weekend was the family gathering in the small town of Rock City, IL. Niece Jamie and her two boys ages 1 and 3, came from Hawaii, nephew Luke with his twin girls, age 16 months, from Denver, and niece Sarah with her 14 month old son, from New York, along with daughter Emily and baby Penelope, and sister Gayle with Meko and sister Aster which in addition to spouses and other family and friends made for an active crowd. The family women managed to talk late into the starlit night with tongues loosed by good wine.
Another highlight of the week was the “soft” opening of the Admiral where I met a number of future residents as well as staff members. Several spoke to the feeling of community. Many are returning to the site, now a totally new facility, where they had previously lived in the original Admiral. They told of gatherings on this same patio to celebrate special occasions. I went away with the feeling of belonging to a very special group.
The last weekend of July Emily and Brett made their move to the Marina City apartment where I stayed in February. They'll be there a couple of weeks until their house closes. My car came in handy for the move and I enjoyed "Poppy" time while they packed and hauled. Ginny and I saw a wonderful performance of Crowns at the Goodman Theatre. Centered around the African American traditions particularly the love of hats for Sunday church. I hadn't been in the Goodman since it relocated and was very impressed with the facility.
Sunday was my turn to work with Poppy at her swim lessons. She enjoys the water but I had difficulty getting myself to duck her in the water. She looked so startled "how could you do that to me?" When we were in Madison, I helped Katherine with her swimming and she really took off swimming underwater. I hope to get her to swim lessons to learn how to handle herself in deep water.
So where did July go? Only 3 weeks until my move to apartment on the corner second floor of the photo below!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment