Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Solos

The Elkhorn Rally was a real treat in part because of the excellent organization of the leaders with two outside events, a boat ride on Lake Geneva and a theatre in the round production with a luncheon in Ft. Atkinson, but also because there were more than 20 Solos, as we who drive alone are called, in attendance.  Traveling from all over the US, they are an adventuresome group of interesting women. We had many stories to share accompanied by laughter as we recounted the times of being asked, “You are going by yourself?” The camaraderie we shared and the friendships built during these days spent together was very special. 
I am now in Clarendon Hills, a southwest suburb of Chicago visiting my friend Ginny.  I've been keeping a close eye on Hurricane Irene and breathing a sigh of relief that it appears it will spare Florida.  My heart goes out to the Bahamas though where we enjoyed our sailing days in the 90's.
On the way here I spent some time with my sister Margaret in Rock City, IL.  They have an abundance of home grown vegetables including giant zuccini which I have used in a main dish, zuccini bread and zuccini pancakes and still not used up! Fortunately Ginny allows kitchen priviledges and I've had fun getting back to cooking.

No comments: