Planing this trip, I wanted to do something special on July 23, the birthday of my Les(ter) and the 4th anniversary of my decision to buy a small motor home which has led to 4 years of adventure. Knowing I would be in the "fiddle capital" area Galax Virginia, I googled for music venues. I found the Blueridge Parkway Music Center, a new facility with a display tracing American Music roots from the 1600's with African, English, and Scot-Irish influences. I was told on the phone that I had a special night with 2 "old time" family fiddler groups, 90 year old Lester McCumbers who has been performing since he was 12. In addition to the 7 p..m. concert, ticket holders could attend a special 5 p.m. performance where both bands would play and talk about themselves and their music. All this for $10! In addition the Galax well known restaurant Smokehouse Barbeque had great barbeque sandwiches with slaw and brownies for dessert with my water totalling $7. It was a great evening celebrating music heritage and for me, remembering my Les(ter).
If your travels take you near the Blue Ridge Park Way, part of our National Park System, between June and September, check the Music Center out. Frequently area musicians are playing on the porch and you can enjoy the music and scenery from a rocking chair.
No comments:
Post a Comment