This is Blue Ridge Hall a conference center & dormitory facility recently opened at Western Carolina U. It's about an hour west of Asheville. Mornings are filled with a skills class taught by a fabulous teacher Janita Baker from California an owner of Blue Lion company. There are 7 in our class all eager to learn at 8:30 in am. Afternoons begin with electives. I did chords on Monday & fifties music Tues where we sang as well as played (they didn't use many chords with that music). Then we beginners have an hour of slow tempo jamming. After that is ensemble practice. We will perform Friday. One of the pieces is from Beethovens 5th. Way above my ability level but I'm trying. Evenings are performances by instructors in small intimate settings. The day ends with optional devotions & a jam session til ?? We sleep in dorm rooms & eat inthe college dining hall with students athletes & others here for summer programs. Makes you feel young.
This began as a log of travels as I explored with small motorhome, as well as traveled to Europe. Now using Chicago as a base, I continue to travel both in the US and Europe via automobile (now a Subaru Outback) as well as flying to destinations.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Dulcimer Week
This is Blue Ridge Hall a conference center & dormitory facility recently opened at Western Carolina U. It's about an hour west of Asheville. Mornings are filled with a skills class taught by a fabulous teacher Janita Baker from California an owner of Blue Lion company. There are 7 in our class all eager to learn at 8:30 in am. Afternoons begin with electives. I did chords on Monday & fifties music Tues where we sang as well as played (they didn't use many chords with that music). Then we beginners have an hour of slow tempo jamming. After that is ensemble practice. We will perform Friday. One of the pieces is from Beethovens 5th. Way above my ability level but I'm trying. Evenings are performances by instructors in small intimate settings. The day ends with optional devotions & a jam session til ?? We sleep in dorm rooms & eat inthe college dining hall with students athletes & others here for summer programs. Makes you feel young.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Any thing that makes you feel young is wonderful!! Glad you are back on the road and today you list your house. Wow...big decision. Are your plans still on track to coming back to Illinois? Luke and I are off for a weekend at St. Michaels where the temperature promises to be even hotter than the 100 predicted here! My sister and I were in Cabo in June where it was only 90.
Post a Comment