Last Thursday Big Mama and I hit the road for the first time since the Christmas adventure. First stop was Haines City where I met Roadtrek friend Susan and enjoyed listening to the practice session of her bell choir. It was very impressive and I hope someday to hear a performance. We then hopped in her friend Mickey's car together with Carolyn, Susan's dulcimer teacher and made a fast trip to ensure seats at a house concert. This was a first for me but Susan and Mickey have been attending this folk oriented venue in a private home. This night's performers, a husband and wife team Elwood and Aubrey, were from Rhoade Island. Aubrey does an American clog that is quite amazing as well as playing multiple instruments. They are very entertaining and superb musicians. I'll try to insert their website so you can check for a concert in your area.
I stayed at Susan's for the night while Big Mama was parked in the community lot. Friday we started off in the rain with the two Roadtreks and 2 GPS's that didn't always agree. We were going to the Mt. Dora 5th annual dulcimer festival. There are workshops Friday afternoon and all day Saturday in Mountain (lap style) and hammered dulcimers as well as autoharps. People attending though seem to play a number of instruments including the Dobro drum, bowed psalter, steel drums, double bass to name a few.
The instructors were terrific and classes were divided into Beginning, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. Two of my Stuart dulcimer group were also attending and we sat together for several meals and compared notes. Both evenings the instructors and vendors performed for 3 1/2 hours. It was awesome. Susan and I then drove our Roadtreks to a nearby Walmart for the night. She had cleared it with the manager previously but other festival attendees looked a bit ascant when we replied "Walmart" when they asked where we stayed.
Now my challenge is to practice what I learned. Somehow it was easier when the instructor was there guiding us. With 200 in attendance and about 1/2 playing mountain dulcimer, I have a lot of company and hopefully sources on which I can call.
No comments:
Post a Comment