Saturday, February 27, 2010

Jonathon Dickenson State Park

A one night camping adventure was also an introduction to the amazing changes at this park which had been damaged by fires and hurricanes.  This is the campground where my first visit was marked being severly bit by fireants and the second visit being bit by "no see-ums".  Previously the campsites were grass covered and surrounded by low plants.  They have cleared the area and resodded.  The pads are large and covered with gravel.  New utilites including individual sewage connections were at the new sites.  Trees that were more akin to sticks were planted throughout to someday hopefully provide some shade.  Unfortunately I think that will be after my camping days have passed.  Trees were unnecessary on this visit with night time temps in the 30's and day time in the 50's.

I was there to meet my cousin Jim and his wife Jane from Maryland who are bicycling with four others from Jacksonville to Miami.  I offered to bring in dinner.  Two of there group had reserved a park cabin (single wide mobil home) and we used that for serving the dinner I supplied.  They had riden more than 75 miles that day and there was very little food left after our meal. 

1 comment:

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club said...

Sandy, Thanks for a terrific meal. It was great seeing you. We are now on the drive back to Maryland. Love from Jim and Jane