Saturday, June 20, 2009

Alaska Bound Day 50




L Ice Museum Chena Springs R. Granit Tor Path
Day 50 Miles 67 Chena Hot Springs We left River’s Edge RV after securing sites for Saturday and Sunday. The summer solstice is their biggest weekend of the year with many activities. I picked up a Friday paper so we could review the options.
The drive on Chena Hot Springs road was tree lined with multiple crossings over the Chena river which apparently winds back and forth. Moose were spotted along one section of river bank and all the photographers almost caused a traffic jam. We stopped at Granite Tors hiking trail access, a paved lot with toilets and picnic tables along the river. A very informative trail description was available and we walked the first few miles of the trail which followed the river. The mosquitoes were thick and I was thankful for my “bug” jacket. We saw evidence of wildlife but no actual “critters”. Those ranger led hikes have heightened our awareness to look for tracks, broken branches missing leaves, teeth marks on the birch (moose have only lower teeth and scrape the tree going up) and beaver dams.
Back at the vehicles we debated eating at a picnic table but were warned by a family that the bugs were bad so ate inside. Shortly after leaving, it began to rain. The sign said “Road Ends” but then we spotted the Chena Hot Springs Resort site. Selecting a couple of RV sites we went in and registered. This will be a night without electricity. We then went over to arrange for the 3 p.m. tour of the ice Museum. However we elected not to have the Aappletini in the glass made of ice, an extra charge, at the end of the tour. The temperature is 20 degrees and I prepared with long underwear, wool sweater, hat and gloves. The building is made of blocks of ice taken from the nearby creek. Inside ice blocks are stacked high waiting to be used. They are clear more than ¾ of the thickness and the top 1/3 is very white. This is actually the snow that fell on top of the ice. We had a large group and everyone was offered a down parka to wear. I added it to my layers. Inside the walls are frosty. Ice sculpted into life size knights on horses, chessmen, a polar bear, a wedding chapel (“short services”) a large bar where the appletini’s were served, 3 rooms available to stay in, one of which had an ice “porta potty” with a conventional seat were all part of the high ceiling building lighted by chandeliers made of ice. It was truly unique.
After that cold experience it was time for the hot springs. First we used the indoor pool and I went over some of the Schooner Oaks water exercises with Judy. The pool water was definitely warmer that the one at home. I could tell I hadn’t done those exercises for a while. Then it was out into the 50 degree outdoors in our wet suits and quickly into 106 degree hot springs water. It was not very crowded and you move around on a sandy/gravel substance under foot. The depth is probably 4 ft. No children are allowed. A fountain of cold water provides a rain like experience in the middle and the hot springs water beats down on you from an incoming pipe. All in all I really enjoyed it but then I like hot showers too. What really surprised me was that I was able to sit out on the rocks in my suit with a terry cloth jacket over my shoulders and I wasn’t cold. It was a cloudy day but the surrounded wooded hills made a very attractive backdrop and I felt like I was on vacation!
We decided to eat at the lodge’s dining room and had a very relaxed meal. Our waiter was from Bulgaria and .worked all over the states including Kissimmee Florida. This resort has the bulk of its business in the winter when in addition to the many activities, they provide rides on a tank like vehicle to get a good view of the Aurora Borealis. Much of their clientele come from Japan. It is truly a unique place.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Do you have pctures some place of this ice museum. Would love to see that.