Note: I've added links to a map and to Judy's blog. The map was set up by Judy but I've added my trip beginning. I will update with my various stops enroute as time and internet access allow.
Day 40 Miles 46 Wassilla AK Home area of “you know who” . We are at the home of Gunnel’s daughter Christina which has a Palmer mailing address but is between Palmer and Wassilla. She is manager of the new Target store in Wassilla. We shopped yesterday at the Target in north Anchorage where her husband is manager.
I was up early and telephoned Donna the friend of Florida friend Jerry. Donna is from the Chicago area but has been working in Alaska for some years with the cruise lines. She works the gift shop on the trains. So all you Alaska Cruise people look for her. Jerry had sent me via Donna some of her Alaska materials. We met for breakfast at County Kitchen and enjoyed exchanging information. She recommended we get to the Anchorage Museum for the 10 a.m. docent tour which turned out to be a fantastic suggestion.
A very diminutive Peg a former teacher was a incredible interpreter of the history of Alaska history from the beginning of the migration across the ice bridge that formed across the north (not through the Aleutians as I had pictured.) Lifesize dioramas portraying the various groups living arrangement were extremely well detailed. Faces were made from living descendants of the groups. Peg’s energetic presentation and personal knowledge of some of the native villages added much to the visual presentation. Her daughter was with Alaska fish and game and she often traveled with her to the villages. This daughter, a breast cancer survivor, participates in the Iditarod race. This year she came in 13 and wore pink!
We toured the some of the art exhibit which included drawing and paintings by early exporation team members. Much of the information of those early times and peoples that we had seen represented in the dioramas was illustrated by these artists reinforcing the authenticity of the exhibits. It was wonderful to have it all in the same building.
Parking the Roadtreks in a city can be challenging but we happened on a lot that had just been resurfaced and was adjacent to the Museum and to the downtown enclosed mall. You pay by credit card with minimum $4 for 2 hours. We ended up staying 4 hours or $8, the same as the museum admission. We had lunch in the museum cafĂ© and of course went to the wonderful gift shop. This museum is undergoing an extensive remodeling with additions and is a fantastic facility. They have a traveling exhibit on gold but we didn’t take time for that. We did visit the mall where Judy was able to get her glasses repaired at a Lens Crafter shop in short order.
We next headed to Suburban Propane back in the Ship Creek area. I have run my furnace so much and though my gage showed ¾ full I decided to fill up. It took 3.2 so I am happy I did so. By then it was getting past 3 and we felt we needed to head north which unfortunately meant that my last stop to visit sailing friends of friends could not be included. We would have also like to visit the Native Cultural Center. Perhaps there will be another time to do more in Anchorage.
No comments:
Post a Comment