Monday, June 23, 2008

Poconos and Vermont


At 1:20 p.m on June 23 I entered the state of Vermont. I am starting to compose this addition to the blog in the customer waiting room of Auto Mall Chevrolet in Brattleboro VT. I attempted to get appointments near Lancaster PA and Gouldsboro PA without success. I found this dealer on Greta the GPS as I entered Brattleboro about 2:30. Amazingly they can do the necessary service (said it was considered 5000 mile service; Big Mama is at 9375!) while I wait.
I came here after two nights in the beautiful Poconos with Chicago friend Judy Koubek. We hadn’t seen each other in over 10 years. Needless to say we talked non stop. It was a “girls weekend”. Her husband and 13 year old were back in Princeton, NJ. The Eagle Lake Community where they have their get away cabin/molbile home is very woodsy. Their place overlooks the lake and has a lovely dock and deck. The community also has many features including a huge pool and two beaches. We had lots of exercise plans but only did a long walk. Most of our exercise involved our mouths, talking and eating! Lots of great neighbors and we spent some time with Paul and Barbara who are former Rvers and interested in my trip. Photo is Paul, Judy and me. I was allowed to park right on Judy’s property and plugged into her electric. “Barn Stars” are a popular decoration on the units. I wondered how it would go over at Schooner Oaks.
My ride to Vermont entailed I-84 to the New York thruway to I 787 on the east side of Albany. The thruway has some very nice rest areas. My toll was $3.50—more than worth it particularly since I was able to confirm that I was on the correct course for Bennington VT. I exited I-787 on Rte 7 which took me into Vermont. Signs for moose crossings, ski areas, curvey roads and scenic small towns were along the 7/9 route. Tonight’s lodging is a KOA a short distance up the road. They have WiFi and if it doesn’t cost too much I’ll send this along.
Tomorrow I’ll head for New Hampshire and then onto Donna Moll’s in Maine where I understand my new credit card is waiting. We had rain the last two nights and I had intermittant rain/drizzle/fog today but nothing that was a problem. The temperature has been in the 60’s-70’s.
Elizabeth and I also had a great “girl-talk” visit since Don was still on the water crewing a sailboat delivery from Ft. Pierce to Annapolis. We watched a foreign film Antonia’s Line a Netflix selection I had ordered for some background in preparing for my trip to the Netherlands in the fall. It was beautifully done from an artistic standpoint and acting we thought. We did some on line research on Saturday as well as I was lucky enough to benefit from one of Elizabeth’s great haircuts. I left looking much better and feeling much more relaxed than I arrived!!!!
I really lucked out with the Auto Mall Chevrolet. They were very helpful, reasonable cost and efficient. Guess it was worth waiting for. Arrived at Brattleboro KOA just ahead of heavy rain shower but in time to get my electric plugged in. It’s a nice small campground and my site is toward the back with no immediate neighbors. I’ve routed my trip for tomorrow. The sun is now shinning but the predictions are for rain tomorrow. I’m sorry not to spend some time in this area. It really looks interesting but I would rather visit on my return or another time.

2 comments:

betty Anstis said...

Have left three comments but am not sure they are being posted. Remember I am your technology challenged friend. Jim left one too and swears it has been sent. Sounds like you are having a great time in lovely scenery with good friends. Sorry about the credit card thing. I know how that makes the pit of your stomach feel. Port Salerno had some fierce weather yesterday, heavy rain and golf ball sized hail. Very hot. Enjoy the cool mountain air while you can. Stay safe. Blessings, Betty

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,
Loved the pic of the three of us...only flattering to you! Had such a great time and hope you find your way back to Eagle Lake..Love, Judy