Writing from Presque Isle Maine library. I arrived here yesterday with long, but pleasant ride up I-95 to northern Maine. Weather here cool but comfortable. My hostess has a charming log house and sitting on her deck with a beautiful view of the lake we could hear the loon calling. Tomorrow I'll head for PEI and then on to Nova Scotia. I'm planning to make my Newfoundland ferry reservations before leaving here. When I telephoned today they had lots of options so I'll need to have a plan before finalizing them The fuel supplement charge triples after the first of July so I need to make the decision.
Tuesday June 24 I departed the Brattleboro VT campground and picked up fuel 4.099/gal near Putney entrance to I 91. Had seen cheaper gas but am trying to keep above ½ tank and was not sure when next opportunity will arise. I-91 is a good road going directly north on the Vermont side of the Connecticut River. There was little traffic though some one lane areas with road construction. It seems as though a lot of the road construction involves bridges. I wonder if that relates to the bridge that fell in Minnesota.
Crossed into New Hampshire at Lebanon and then took secondary roads, US4, 104, 3 and 25 into Lake Winnepausaukee area. This stop was one of nostalgia. I had spent summers here as a young child in the mid 40’s. We had taken the train from Mississippi. My mother worked for the Geneva Point Camp on the Lake near Moultonborough in the late 30’s and mid 40’s. I have recently learned that she and my father married in nearby Melvin Village in 1939.
I had visited Geneva Point Center (as it is now called) in 1976 and tent camped there with my husband and children. The camp has had few changes although there were signs they are selling off some of the land which was later confirmed. Also a new meeting building has been added. I started walking to the beach but it was quite buggy in the woods. Apparently there has been a lot of cool rainy weather lately. A sign at a store read “some sun would be nice.”
I discussed camping there but I would not have electricity and the area is more suited for tent camping. The $38 fee includes meals but they would be taken in a dining room filled with youthful campers. So after many photos I headed for my original choice, Long Island Bridge Campground which is very nearby. For $25 I was given a nice site with 20amp electric.
I unloaded the bike and rack since I didn’t know what the parking situation would be in the areas I’d be touring in the afternoon. After lunch and a short look around I headed out again.
Melvin Village is very small but I had no trouble locating the Community Church. I couldn’t find the Inn where a news article had said they went after the wedding ceremony. I did see a large structure that could have been an inn at one point. There is also a dam in the town. I took lots of photos and then drove a short distance toward Mirror Lake. I decided to treat myself to an ice cream at a shop across from a marina and beach. I chose coffee flavor as this was the area where I first decided that was my favorite. My mother’s job was running the ice cream shop and I licked the end of the cartons.
It was starting to rain as I made my way back to the campground. This is a beautiful area, the beautiful lake the surrounding mountains, the small islands of evergreens are as I remembered. I can see now what an influence it had on me. This type of place is my favorite and one of the reasons I decided to go back to camping. I’ve always credited my early experiences here with my love of sailboats,but I think it also is the reason I love the outdoors and a rustic environment. This was the cradle for much of who I am I suspect. Not sure I realized it until I came back. It’s been a bit of an emotional day as I’ve wished I could talk to my mother about what I’ve seen and thought here.
2 comments:
Sandy....how beautiful it all seems and so sorry you can't share with your Mom....so many times, I have returned to So. Illinois and wanted to share with my mom what is going on there...keep going, this is so interesting...Love, Judy K
Sandy,
Sounds like a special day! Coffee was your favorite flavor at such a young age! I'm enjoying finally catching up on your June journies.
Sarah
Post a Comment