Saturday, June 21, 2008

Initial phase of trip or Pushing North

Writing on Thursday June 19 from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia—think Arthur Godfrey theme song for those old enough to remember—“Oh the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia on the trail of the Lonesome Pine” sung while strumming the ukulele. I think Les sang that song as we came through here in 2004. Anyway that’s where I am. Tonight I am in Staunton Virginia, not too far from Jefferson’s Monticello and Charlottesville.
I drove 511 miles the first day and 409 today. Much of it has been interstate, but today it was intermingled with smaller roads that were connecting a section of the future Interstate 73. I met a woman at the gas station this morning who told me about it and it was a big improvement over my planned route through the heart of Charlotte, NC. She had left Roanoke VA at 2 a.m. and was headed for Jacksonville FL. I was headed to Roanoke and points northeast. Weird coincidence.
This conversation was taking place while I was internally in tumult having just discovered I was missing one of my credit cards used the previous day for gas in Palm Bay, FL. I feared it had fallen out of my shallow pocket possibly at a toilet stop at the Georgia or South Carolina Welcome centers.
Friend Ginny to the rescue going on line to find a phone connection with a real person to whom to report my dilemma. The other contact numbers required entering your card number which I didn’t have! DUH! Note to self: Take credit card numbers along. Fortunately I had packed a back up card. They will overnight a new card for me to pick up at my next stop in Pennsylvania. I beat myself up pretty badly over this.
In this small van carrying so much, I can lose so much. Things shift under transit to say the least. Cubbyholes that seem perfect storage somehow are obtuse when I try to remember where I put them. Then I absentmindedly stash things in an unordinary place and drive myself into a panic over it. Is this a sign of old age? Should I be allowed out???
Well enough of that hand ringing. I’m in a delightful campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Pleasant family noises filter in from the neighbors (Child: Where are my shoes? I can’t go anywhere. Dad: Where did you put them?) See even kids forget. Anyway I feel quite snug. Four geese paid a welcoming call earlier. I think they wanted a handout but were disappointed. They seem to have retired for the night.
Last night’s campground, Santee State Park, was even more scenic. My campsite overlooked a lake and there was more privacy. I was awakened at 5:30 a.m. to a symphony of bird songs. I lay there the next hour trying to decipher them—Owl? Woodpecker? Blue Jay? Robin? And many more. I rode my bike to the visitor center to register. They’d been closed when I arrived at 6:30. I was amazed to learn they had Wi Fi. I don’t think this one does so I’ll probably have to wait to send this when I reach Pennsylvania. Other random musings: Definite evidence of drought in South Carolina. Farm fields in the northern part of state look decimated. North Carolina seemed better but Virginia also dry.
New interstate I took today was devoid of any businesses and that plus new pavement and very little traffic was a real treat. Fortunately I’d enough gas but lunch came late as there was no place to stop close to the road. Poor Greta Garmin, the GPS, thought I was travelling through fields. She couldn’t find the road and kept repeating “Please follow route”. Along that road I saw a “shotgun” type house nestled into devouring bushes and trees. A pretty little house with columns across the front was probably someone’s home before eminent domain prevailed to take the land for the new road.
Many front porches in small towns looked inviting to “come set a spell.”A delightful appearing and seemingly antebellum town was Cheraw, SC. It would be a great place to check out another time. I think Sherman might have missed this one. South of there I saw a street sign “Colonel Cash” and another one “Cash Swamp” which made me wonder if neighbor Thurston Cash has ancestors there. Went through Guilford County, NC where great great grandmother Martha Deweese was born. No time to stop to check the courthouse or library unfortunately.
I finally treated myself to North Carolina barbeque vinegary kind with coleslaw on top. Not the best I’ve had but just could resist. Now I need some Virginia ham!
P.S. Written Saturday from Wrightsville PA. Had a good trip here but spent 4 hours driving to try to get the oil changed in York PA and then missed the turn. Oh well up the road. I was ready to quit and pulling into the McKonly’s driveway was great. Elizabeth had a glass of wine and great supper and wonderful bed waiting. Big Mama stayed in the driveway. Today I’m heading for the Poconos and a visit with Chicago days friend Judy Koubek. They have a weekend retreat that’s a manufacturered home and I will be permitted to pull into the site.
My replacement credit card is being sent to Donna Moll’s in Maine where I should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday and that will probably be my next post. My card was reported found but the account has been closed and a new one opened.
A few more highlights of yesterday: Saw 2 accidents both involving trucks but neither caused much delay for me but sobering to view. On the positive side crossed the Shenandoah twice and the beautiful sight made me think of the beautiful song Shenandoah. Too bad I don’t know how to have music play for the blog!
I am picking up my bellsouth.net email but if you have problems with it, my blog is set up on gmail. That is sandy41mail@gmail.com
I have to admit I am very tired at the end of each day even the 240 miles yesterday. I think it’s the tension of the traffic. Hopefully it will get easier. Will try to add photos next time.

2 comments:

Brad and Karen said...

Re losing stuff in a small place -- organization is no small matter in an RV! Helps to list what's in "Cupboard A", "Drawer B", etc., but we never have. BUT be sure you know where all the really important stuff is. Absolutely essential to have that at close hand should you have to bail out.

Had to chuckle about your GPS -- she can really be annoying if you get off course, can't she?
B&K

Julien said...

We call our GPS "mother superior". She takes her orders from on high, tries to boss us around, and we ignore her. Be safe.
Julien and Kate