This began as a log of travels as I explored with small motorhome, as well as traveled to Europe. Now using Chicago as a base, I continue to travel both in the US and Europe via automobile (now a Subaru Outback) as well as flying to destinations.
Saturday, September 21, 2013
Final Miles
The trip west to Illinois went surprisingly well. Even before leaving home I debated the route I would take back. Preferring not to backtrack, my preference was to go a more southern route from Cape Cod, though my concern was traffic around Connecticut and New York. It proved unfounded and I found myself in good time crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York, going across New Jersey and into Pennsylvania stopping shortly after 5 at a Comfort Inn Suites which was also nicer than expected and very reasonable in cost. I saw a Panera within walking distance though not a very pedestrian friendly route. The hotel is adjacent to a center with among other stores, Walmart and Lowe’s. So across their parking lots, down an embankment, across a street and up a hill to the outlot stores to get dinner. It was a good meal and fortunately a safe walk back in the twilight. The next night was Exit 34 in Ohio. I had traffic gridlock several times with an unbelievable number of trucks. Not many food options and none within walking so I tried Pizza Hut. Wednesday I gained an hour of time and used it to watch a locking procedure on the Illinois River with upbound and downbound barges. This was near my destination of Starved Rock State Park in Utica, Illinois where I was to meet Roadtrek friend, Susan, who would stay in the campground while I was in the 1930’s section of the lodge. We had a great visit sitting outside her Trek before goingover to the lodge for dinner. Finally on Thursday I headed into Chicago area, stopping at friend Ginny’s to catch up on each other’s travels before finally arriving home about 3 p.m. I feel blessed with the opportunity to again have had a safe and most enjoyable trip. It whets my appetite for more!
Here are photos though not sure it will be in order. Hiking with sister Karen NH, Lobster ME, Ferry to Vineyard, Painted Ladies Oak Bluff on Vineyard, Lunch stop Dennis MA , Beach Art and Life Station Race Point, Cape Cod, Biking Nantucket 







Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment