Sunday, May 9, 2010

Greece trip preparations

In a little over a week, the old lady will be off on new adventures again.  This time may hold more challenges than any of the past.  I am flying from Miami to Athens via Madrid Spain.  Today I learned the air space over Spain is being affected by the Volanic ash dust.  Before the ash dust arrived in Spain, the air space over Spain was over crowded with re routed flights trying to avoid the ash.  Of course everyone has seen the protests occuring in Athens and learned of the tragic deaths of the 3 bank workers there.  Travel websites have on the ground reports from tourists who say it is very limited and not in the tourist areas.  One comment I saw said cruise ship passengers were kept from disembarking and therefore did not spend money contrary to what Greece needs.

All that said I am looking forward to visiting a country that has been on my radar screen for a very long time. The unbelieveable thing is that I have the opportunity to join a sailing charter on a 51 ft. Benateau with a group of people who are members of the Lake Michigan Hunter Sailing Association.  Les and I sailed a Hunter Passage 42 which gives me somewhat of an in to the group.  My daughter Emily will be coming as well and it will be a special treat to share the experience with her.

I'm trying to link the blog http://www.sailingingreece2010.blogspot.com/ on which we hope to report our progress. I will also post on this blog as wifi opportunities are available. Initially I'll have 2 nights in Athens, and Emily 1.  We then will fly to the island of Kos which is very close to Turkey.  We are chartering from the Moorings a US company based there.  I am hoping to post a map with our Itinerary shown.  We'll be leaving the boat for 2 nights stay on Santorini (Thira).  Emily will fly back from Rhodes.  When we return to Kos I hope to spend a couple of nights on the island of Naxos before returning to Athens for an early morning flight on June 8.

On my return to Miami I will head for 4 nights at a hotel in Miami Beach to meet up with some friends attending the American Institute of Architects (AIA) convention. I look forward to any who will be traveling along via the blog! Kalimera! (Good Morning)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Be sure to wave at Turkey for me. Have fun with Emily!