This began as a log of travels as I explored with small motorhome, as well as traveled to Europe. Now using Chicago as a base, I continue to travel both in the US and Europe via automobile (now a Subaru Outback) as well as flying to destinations.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Strikes in Greece
Here's a map that shows the islands we'll be visitng. You should be able to click on it and enlarge for your viewing. I posted a link to the Sailing Group's blog where I'd posted this map but apparently that does require signing in as a follower. Something I don't require so I have no idea who all reads this.
Anyway the countdown is in single digits now. I've sorted all my travel information, packed quite a bit including the requested extra trash bags and TP for use on the boat. So far it looks as though the ash cloud will be hanging around Great Britain on Tuesday but so far my enroute stop of Madrid looks ok. In addition British Airways has called a strike for that day so that requires some rebooking for some of our group.
Greece has declared strikes on May 20 Thursday and May 31 Monday. I arrive on the 19th but planned a full day of touring on the 20th. I'm concerned the new Archeological Museum will be closed as a result. Emily flies in that day which should be ok except no public transportation into town. Hopefully she'll find someone to share a taxi and that they'll be available.
As one friend wrote me "Only YOU would think this is a good time to go to Greece!" Many of our group began organizing this last summer though. The good news is that the Euro is closer to the dollar than it was back then.
The weather in Athens seem to be in the high 80's but cooler in our sailing area. Meantime Florida is off to a beautiful start for May with wonderful breezes and low 80's temps and many flowering plants in bloom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment