Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Prague Czech Republic

This is being written after a long day and very little sleep. Please excuse any mistakes or craziness.  My transportation went well with my experiment of public transit to Miami airport via the Tri Rail.  My Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt was a bit bumpy and I had a snorer near by with it seemed a case of sleep apnea. The seats were three across and I had an aisle but the poor young man in the middle with long legs was poured into his seat.  All in all there wasn't much sleep.

My transfer in Frankfurt was arduous and the flight here arrived a bit late but the good news is that my luggage arrived and the tour rep met me at the airport.  She did a very thorough job of introducing me to my Prague map and assisting me with my plans for the next few hours.  I walked the streets for about 3 hours touring along the river with many boats out on the beautiful and very warm day.  I also saw the famous astronomical clock strike noon along with many many other tourists in the old town section.  I mostly just savored the day and the sights.  I couldn't light on anything or anywhere for lunch.  I'm a bit stymed by the 16.50 K currency is a US  dollar.  Seeing a lunch item priced at 75 or 105 takes my appetite away.  On the way back from the hotel I found a grocery store.  For less than 25 I had a banana, yogurt drink, and a multigrain roll with my cheese from breakfast.  It hit the spot.

I returned to the hotel to welcome roommate and biking friend Judy and she and I set out for 3 more hours of walking in the Castle area.  We saw many venues for concerts tonight and really wanted to go but our feet are finished and we need an early quit. We must be in the lobby by 8:30 to depart for our next destination Cesky Krumlov in the SW area of the country.

We enjoyed a good dinner at a small local establishment in the neighborhood of our hotel.  We were joined by Jan from Minnesota who will be part of our biking group.  She and I had very good goulash with potato dumplings (shades of Tony Kesman dinners) and Judy had a sausage with a salty pancake, better known as a crepe filled with spinach and mozarrella.

So ends two days rolled into one.  A good start I think.

No comments: