Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Elf bakes cookies


Tis the season as they say and I guess today I worked my way into it a bit. To start with I forced myself to concentrate on cleaning/straightening the house including washing the kitchen area floor. I put up a few holiday trimmings. Perhaps I’ll photograph the elf I brought back from Rockford. We had divided up the Christmas decorations but the elf was all I took. Somehow he really appealed to me though I can’t say I have any childhood memory of his role in childhood Christmases. Then I put some Christmas CD’s into the player including the German one I bought there last Christmas. Listening to some of those songs brought back wonderful memories of last Christmas in Germany.

While it wasn’t brought about by the time of year, I made a batch of cookies which is really the reason I decided to write tonight. It all started with a jar of peanut butter. Earlier this week I finally finished the Smart Balance Peanut Butter that traveled all the way to Newfoundland and back. The jar on the pantry shelf, Smuckers Natural, had been there quite a while. I would not get the oil to blend in. The date of suggested “use by” was Nov 13, 2008 so perhaps that was the problem. Cookies: that was the answer for this jar. So I “googled” Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies. The recipe I chose out of the 400,000 choices did not have chocolate but I added it any way. They turned out so great and were so simple I wanted to pass it along. It might work to make with kids too.

1 16 oz jar Natural Peanut Butter room temperature
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
Cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

With a large spoon, mix up the peanut butter with the sugars until well blended(I already cut the sugar quantity in half and used brown instead of all white). Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add cocoa powder. I didn’t measure but it was probably ¼ cup or less. Mix well. Add vanilla and soda and mix again.

Form into small balls and place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper. After placing as many balls as will fit on the sheet, gently press a fork across the each cookie to make a cross pattern.

Bake 10 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. Cookies will be soft when they come out and should stay on the cookie sheet for at least five minutes before being transferred to a rack for more cooling. Yum! I would guess it made about 3 dozen small cookies.

No comments: