Monday, November 24, 2008

Going Home



90 Photos from Carleen Worland's 90th Birthday April 2008

Monday November 24 Clarendon Hills Illinois Yes I’m on the road again. This trip was sudden and unexpected. My mother passed away at 11:30 Tuesday, November 18. She had been declining for over 10 years suffering from a form of dementia along with a number of other medical conditions. Yet when her time to go came it happened quickly overnight and we were unprepared. Everyone pulled together though, booked flights from all over the country and prepared a service via emails and telephone calls. Finally we put the finishing touches on it Thursday night for the Friday morning service at the funeral home. Having no religious affiliation and my being the oldest of the six children I was elected to lead the service. My sister Margaret played both the electric piano and hammered dulcimer for the music which included Amazing Grace, Blue Skies, and God Be With Us Til we meet again. The latter song as well as “In the Sweet By and By” played as the service began were the hymns requested in the Will of Mama’s grandmother, Mollie Smith Jones in 1924. Grandson Evan played “Love Me Tender” on a guitar made by son and Luthier Jim Worland (http://www.worlandguitars.com/ . In her latter years Mama had “found” Elvis and he was featured at her birthday parties, the most recent being her 90th last April when he was represented on the cake as all six children gathered.
Daughter Margaret a florist and gift shop owner in Rock City Illinois (Rock Run Peddler) did a fantastic casket blanket as well as a spectacular bouquet from the children and grandchildren with a rose for each grandchild to take at the end. The Worland cousins also sent a gorgeous bouquet that would later be donated to the House of Hope, a school for challenged children. They dry the flowers and later sell them.
Daughters Margaret and Gayle and daughter in law De Ann, granddaughters Emily, Jamie, and Anna all spoke their reminiscences of Carleen Worland. I gave a bit of her history which being so old, I have the most. One of highlights was the wife of one the original employees in 1948 at Rockford Propane, Del Lang’s widow Shirley. To my amazement and her credit, I remembered her face and name! I had last seen her 17 years ago at Ken’s funeral.
After the cemetery we had a luncheon at the Stockholm Inn. It is a big Rockford gathering place and Mama used to like to go on Friday nights to hear the accordion player. He even came to play for her birthday at Elder’s Eden, the small group home where she resided since February 2008.
My son Michael with Karen and Katherine were able to come and Katherine’s early walking steps won everyone’s heart and put a smile on the sad faces.
Saturday Jim Worland opened his home to those of us still in town and we went over old photos and jewelry. As someone said it was like being a child again going through Mama’s jewelry box. At the service I had worn pieces of her jewelry that she had given me over the years. Many were wearing clothing items that had either been made by her or worn by her (Margaret wore the old green corduroy gardening jacket as she read her presentation which included a letter she thought Mama might have wanted to write to those gathered).
Now I’m at Ginny’s. She’s been in San Antonio for a conference and will return tonight. I’ll stay until Friday going with Michael, Karen and Katherine to Margaret’s house in Rock City for Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Julien said...

Thank you for posting this, Sandy. I wish I could have been with you as you commemorated your mom on what sounds like it was a sad but memorable day. Love to you and your family.

betty Anstis said...

What a lovely meaningful service. Such a sweet remembrance to wear her jewelry and of course the gardening jacket was a masterful touch. A sad but stirring occasion. One in never ready for the death of a parent no matter how long they have been leaving us. Hope to see you soon. Blessings to the entire family. Betty