Monday, October 13, 2008

Goodbye Bruges

It's Monday and Bruges is a bit quieter than usual since many of the attractions and even some shops and restaurants are closed. I've really enjoyed wandering the streets particularly those away from the center market area. I walked to the train station this morning and purchased my tickets for the first leg of my trip to Germany which begins tomorrow at 9 a.m. I found Rick Steve's recommendation for chocolate. It's the last remaining shop that makes their product here in Bruges. I am stressed for suitcase space so only enough to take to share in Germany!

I tried the "best" ice cream shoppe in town and had "Mozart" which is pistachio and chocolate. Delicious. Then a fantastic grilled eggplant sandwich at a small breadshop with a communal table. Great for us loners. Today has been my first in a while on my own and I have been enjoying myself. The best news is that our Bruges tour leader negotiated with the hotel manager for me to stay one more night at the tour's 4 star hotel at a reasonable, although bit above my budget, price. I was delighted not to have to move for only one night. They also have a fantastic breakfast and I can probably get a lunch sandwich from it as well.

Our tour group had a final dinner last night at a Flemish restaurant. It was enhanced by all being at the same table in a private room. After a week plus we'd become a cohesive group and fond farewells were shared in the hotel lobby on our return. Judy and two others had a 7 a.m. pick up for the airport so I joined them for breakfast at 6:30. She was a great "cabin mate"!

Sunday we both elected to take the Flanders Fields tour which is in a small bus. It tours the battlegrounds on the 3 year standoff between the Germans and Allied Forces as well as cemeteries and monuments. It was sobbering and all you could think of was "will we ever learn?" What a waste of young lives. The other point of interest was that to this day they continue to find skelletons, artifacts and even live ammunition in the area. People are still being injured or killed by weapons from 1914-1918. It was a full day from 9-6 and we had to really shift gears to get in the celebration spirit for the tour dinner.

I'll post photos from Lell's house. I arrive there Wednesday evening. Their 50th Anniversary party will be Saturday but other guests will begin arriving on Thursday. Haven't received much news from the states, but think that is a good thing. Ignorance is bliss in this case! No political emails please. I've made up mind and will be back in time to vote!

1 comment:

betty Anstis said...

The pistachio and chocolate ice cream made me salivate. Sounds like you are making every minute count. You are such an adventurer. Glad you are enjoying the biking. We are expecting a cool front this weekend. Temps in the 80's. BRR ! You are smart for being out of the country during all this pre-election mess. Latest FL fiasco: Rep. Mahoney who took Foley's place and is running for re-election against Rooney has been called on adultery and paying off his mistress to be quiet. Is America the laughing stock abroad? Betty Anstis