Thursday, August 29, 2013

Catching Up

Time management continues to be a problem for me. Days are filled and little time is remaining to keep up the blog. Not keeping it active is a disappointment. It does reflect how my life has changed. While previously it seemed I moved from trip to trip, now I am more grounded though not unwillingly. Nevertheless there have been times on the road and many blog entries written in my head. Now I’ll try to put some of them and accompanying photos out for anyone who is still interested. This is in preparation for my first major trip of the year, a drive to the east coast and back in September. March found me in southeastern California near the Arizona border where I visited cousin Kevin and wife Norma and their daughter Jane who came to their Indio home from the San Francisco area. Together we drove east to Sen Wash, a bureau of Land Management camping area, the winter home of sister Karen and her husband Brad. It was a fun time with lots of hiking and catching up. We were joined by cousin Paula from Tucson and her nephew from D.C. April I flew to Florida and rented a car for the return trip to ferry my remaining possessions from friend Ginny’s condo. Of course I couldn’t drive directly, so I wandered my way north via visits in Mississippi and Tennessee, staying mostly at Bed and Breakfasts and doing some family history research along the way. July 4th weekend was very special with a visit to our Nation’s Capitol for a wedding of Emily’s friend Virginia. Brett was unable to go, so I went along as Nanny. Despite the 100 degree temperatures we kept very busy. College friend Cathy arranged for us to join her incredible tour of the National Archives. After having lunch with her, we headed to the annual Folk Arts festival. Baby Penelope though was asleep and thus missed a merry go round ride. On the 4th we were out late with a magnificent fireworks display from the Capitol which we saw from a hill near the Iwo Jima Monument. While Emily attended the wedding on Friday, Penelope and I had a fun visit with cousin Jim and wife Jane whose two grandchildren have prepared them for young visitors. Saturday we let Emily sleep in while we took the Metro to the National Zoo with a special guide, biking friend Judy, a former “small mammal interpreter at the zoo. A family gathering found us in Door County Wisconsin at inlaws, Bob and Sara’s housekeeping cottages, Solveigs Orchard in Sister Bay. Perfect weather for a first extended family vacation. Beach time and bicycles, together with great food and conversation as family members came and went during the week. It was wonderful to be with my two granddaughters as well as other family members in a relaxed setting.

No comments: