I was back in my condo Tuesday before dark which helped since I needed to turn the water on. I used public transportation from the Miami airport, a little over 100 miles away. It all worked amazingly well once I found where to catch the bus at the airport which takes you to the Tri Rail Station. When I arrived in West Palm Beach I took a new commuter bus to Martin County. Total cost $5.45. Unbelieveable. Of course having a friend pick me up at the bus was a key to it all and she even brought supper to share before heading home. This was the capping of a very long period of travel which may have put the final twinge in my back that is slowing my return to life here. I guess it's my body's way of reminding me that I am pushing the limits a bit.
My train from Germany (Backnang with change in Nurenberg) was swift and comfortable and arrived in Vienna on time. I hopped on the airport bus and arrived about 10 p.m. with a lot of Russians catching an Aeroflot that must have been the last departure of the evening. Unfortunately I wasn't able to check in and get into the more comfortable waiting areas of the airport but had to stay most of the night in a booth of a closed cafe. Finally at 4:30a.m. I checked in and soon found a Starbucks with comfy chairs and a latte to pick me up a bit. My flight from Vienna to Frankfurt went well and transfer at that airport was smoother than when I was coming from the US. Still had to clear immigration and security again though and this was all before 9 a.m. with no sleep. The 747 was fully loaded and departed about 35 minutes late. With a window seat I was able to sleep but was rather wedged in with two other passengers in my row and the person in front stretched almost into my lap. I hope anyone reading this realizes I make these choices to put myself through this and try to find the humor in it though this about pushed that limit. The air transportation was booked through the tour company so I had no way to adjust it when my plans changed and I traveled further into Germany.
All in all it was a wonderful adventure with good times, good food, and good friends. My biking buddy Judy has already posted wonderful photos of the bike tour. I've added the link to the blog under Europe 09 photos but you can also go to judysbiketrip2009.shutterfly.com
You can get a full screen slideshow and see me beside the corn stalks.
No comments:
Post a Comment