Tuesday, September 30, 2008

From Amsterdam in the Netherlands

I am writing from the new central library. There are lots of computer terminals for the likes of me. A bit circuitous getting here, but then that's my style. It's quite near the Central RR station but the area has a lot of construction.

Anyway I am here and have had a busy 3 days. I will try to be brief (not likely) and unfortunately I didn't bring the connection for the camera to share photos, but this will bring you up to date on my initial part of this journey.

I flew to Chicago Friday early a.m. In the afternoon I met with the DuPage Foundation and AIANEI exec re the Larsen scholarship. It was a productive meeting generating ideas for further publicizing next year's scholarship. I was also pleased that with the market downturn the scholarship funds had not taken a big hit.

On Saturday Emily and Brett picked me up and we went to Michaels. He was working but we were able to spend time playing with granddaughter/niece Katherine who at age 11 months is babbling and patty caking and all sorts of other talents being demonstrated. Emily brought some books for Carl and Josh, Karen's boys and they really enjoyed them. We then went to Oakbrook for Emily's birthday lunch at Clubhouse. Delightful outdoor setting on a beautiful day and great food too. Last stop was a quick visit with friends Perry and Laddie Bok, the latter of whom is recovering from a recent hospitalization. It was great to see him up and around.

I checked into the airport in plenty of time. I was delighted that I had no seat mate on the plane so was able to stretch out a bit. Still it was a short night when we arrived in Dublin where I changed planes for Amsterdam. On arrival here I went to the wrong luggage carousel and it took a while to resolve that but my suitcase was among the few still circling the belt.

Then it was on to getting a train ticket, another challenge involving a machine. Then finding the correct track for my train. I had instructions sent by the Bed and Breakfast. Finally onto the train where I stood with another woman near the door as I was only going one stop. Turns out she was only going one stop. When I asked her destination and she discribed the same B & B where I was bound, I had a new friend, Grace. Together we found our way and it turned out our rooms were adjacent and we were to share the toilet, shower, and kitchen facilities!

It was a beautiful day and we took a walk through nearby Vondel Park. It was great fun to see all the people enjoying the day. Bicycles everywhere and many with children in a cart attached to the front. I even found my Thursday hotel right outside the park. Grace headed off to do some other touring. She lives in Dublin where she is a professor of Spanish. She's delivering a manuscript of her book to the University of Leiden today so her Amersterdam visit was short.

I headed back to the B & B for a nap. At 7p.m. she returned and we headed off to dinner. Our first choice had a long wait and we ended up at an Indonesian Restaurant Sumatra. Unfortunately the service was poor and we had a long wait for our food. However we had lots of time to get acquainted.

Monday Grace decided to join me in going to Anne Frank's house. It is every bit as moving and impressive as advertised. Fortunately the wait wasn't too long. Afterwards we had a total change of pace and went to the Tulip Museum where we learned all about the cultivation and harvesting of tulip bulbs. We also visiting the Delft porcelian store and had lunch nearby. I tried one of the local specialties, a savory pancake with spinach. Grace had a huge bowl of steaming hot mussels.

We then visited Neuw Kerke (New Church about 600 years old) where they had an excellent exhibit "Black is Beautiful" tracing the use of black skin people in art over the ages. It was very well done and fascinating how they displayed using elements of the church structure. We decided to go to Oude Kerke (Old Church 700 years) since it was enroute to Rembrandt house. Their art exhitit was very avant garde and the church is undergoing major renovation and seemed like a construction zone. I did inquire re graves as I have learned I may have an ancestor there from the 1600's. Unfortunately I did not have the name of the person with me but made arrangement to meet with a staff member on Thursday with the information. Rembrandt's wife Saskia is buried there and we saw her stone in the floor.

Arriving at the Rembrandt house we were turned away as it was too close to closing. It was a disappointment particularly for Grace. She headed off to make use of her I Amsterdam card on the last canal boat ride of the day while I worked my way (literally struggling to get the tram connections correct) back to the B & B. I had a dinner engagement at the home of Julie and Marc Dinsbach. Julie is the daughter of my cousin Jim in Maryland. She's been in the Netherlands 7 years and married to Dutch native Marc for 2 years. They are expecting their first child in a month. She's required to stop working 4 weeks prior to the birth and receives 4 months paid leave. Their house is an easy walk from my B & B and we had a delightful evening together including a Skype call with her parents.

Today Grace and I had breakfast together. She's done the shopping so we have fruit and toast as well as the cereal provided. I was sorry to see her go but hopefully we will connect on the internet. She gave me her I Amsterdam card to use as it was still good until 2 p.m. I used it for the Riksmuseum which features the work of Rembrandt and the Van Gough museum. It was a good way to spend a rainy day.

The B & B is outside the center city but easy connections by the frequent trams. It has a neighborhood feel which I prefer to the hotel, tourist areas. My room is quite large with a sofa as well as a bed. There are a number of shops and restaurants near by and the park is about a block away. Canals are everywhere, more than in Venice they say. I am surprised how many types of boats are on the canals both pleasure and working.

So that's my first on the road post. Hopefully I will post again on Friday with some photos. Friday afternoon I join my barge and bike trip group and we'll board the barge and have our first ride on Saturday. Hopefull the weather will improve. It's quite cool with rain and wind today. I'm happy I made a last minute decision to include my wool sweater. My best to you all.

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I've not done this before as you know and typed a long message and then realized I had to sign in which I've finally done and now my message is gone so more next time but glad you met a friend that you could share so much time with. Stay warm and look at this as an excuse to buy a nice sweater.

Unknown said...

It's been delightful to read of your adventures. I'm so proud of you to have biked so many miles; see, all that practice paid off.

Looking forward to your return with more slide shows to view and stories to hear. \

Had anything interesting happened with us, I'd have told you. Yes, you will have trouble anchoring to the ground after so many wonderful trips, but knowing you, it probably won't be long before you and Rhodda head out once more.

Rest up, aclimate to S.O. and the time change then give us a call. Wednesday, the 29th, we'll be home but leave on the 30th to fly up to Raleigh and returning on Nov. 3rd.
Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Love and happy landings,

Arlene and Randy